Turkey Carcass Soup: Cheap and Easy Lunch for just 37p a Head
I’m all about using every single bit of a turkey, and this carcass soup recipe is perfect. It’s really simple to prepare and can be left to just boil away while you’re doing something else.
This is delicious and can be easily frozen for another day. Win!
It does take some prep and cooking time, 2 and half hours really, but you don’t have to be slaving away with it. Leaving it to cook is perfect, as you get all the meat off the bone without having to even touch the carcass yourself.
This is the perfect recipe if you have a large joint of meat leftover that you need to use up. We tried this with chicken as well so it works with most white meat.
- 13 Leftover Turkey Recipes That Can Be Made From Your Christmas Dinner
- 31 Aldi Slow Cooker Recipes For The Whole Family
- 69 Slimming World Packed Lunch Ideas
Turkey Carcass Soup Shopping List
Turkey carcass 250g (from your roast dinner)
3 Potatoes 31p
125g Carrots 31p
100g Frozen Onion 15p
100g Cabbage 31p
400g Tin Tomatoes 34p
1 tsp Worchester sauce 2p
Total: £1.48 = 37p a head for 4 people
If you enjoyed this post and would like some more family friendly budget recipes or meal plan ideas, then head over to the budget food section here on Savings 4 Savvy Mums where you’ll find over 30 cheap posts dedicated to helping you cook and shop wiser for less. There’s enough tips to help you save over £300 a month! You could also pop over and follow my family food Pinterest boards for lots more ideas on how to eat well and spend less; Family Meal Plans on a Budget, Budget Family Meals & Budget Slimming World Recipes for Families.
Love this post? Then why not save it to Pinterest so you can easily find it later.
What the * means
If a link has an * by it, then this means it is an affiliate link and helps S4SM stay free for all. If you use the link, it may mean that we receive a very small payment. It will not cost you anymore that it would normally.
You shouldn’t notice any difference and the link will never negatively impact the product. The items we write about are NEVER dictated by these links. We aim to look at all products on the market. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link, then the link, or product is still included in the same way, just with a non-paying link.
- Turkey carcass 250g (from your roast dinner)
- 3 Potatoes
- 125g Carrots
- 100g Frozen Onion
- 100g Cabbage
- 400g Tin Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Worchester sauce
- Mixed herbs
- Put the turkey carcass into a large stockpot. I used my wok as that’s the only thing I had large enough. Pour in enough water to reach the top of the pot and bring to the boil. (My carcass wasn’t fully in the water, but it still worked perfectly.)
- Cook for around 1 hour, until all the meat, has fallen off the bones.
- Remove the carcass and chop off any remaining meat.
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve into a clean cooking pot. Add the chopped turkey and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir all the other ingredients, including the potatoes.
- Leave to simmer till the vegetables are tender. Normally another hour.
- Serve piping hot.
- This is the perfect soup made from bones that most cooks discard.
- Another way to do this is to take all the meat off the carcass directly dinner is over and cut the bones into manageable sized pieces.
- Add them all to your slow cooker before you go to bed, on low, and sieve in the morning when you wake up.
You can either freeze that as stock or throw in the above ingredients and leave on low all day, ready for the perfect soup that night. Win-win!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 68mgSodium 110mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 6gSugar 7gProtein 23g