At just 44p, this lovely homemade sweet potato and carrot soup is perfect for those “i can’t be bothered” lunches. It’s such an easy and tasty soup to make, that I purposely cook more to fridge for the rest of the week.
It can be slightly thick, so if you prefer a smooth consistency, then adding slightly more stock helps.
If you don’t like Creme Fraiche, then double cream adds just as much richness.
Sweet potatoes are a great way to get added fibre into the kids. We also chop them up and use them for wedges as well. They are so cheap to buy and having a packet in the house makes for a quick and healthy dinner when needed.
I also add chilli flakes to mine for added taste with this really simple 30p a loaf bread. Homemade bread is so easy to make. You don’t need a bread making machine. You can make most breads by hand. Soda bread is also an easy way to make bread.
- Low Cost & Healthy Slow Cooked Traditional Spaghetti Bolognese
- 71 Budget Vegan Slimming World Recipes for the Whole Family
- 69 Slimming World Packed Lunch Ideas
This recipe uses a blender to give the soup it’s creamy texture, look at the reviews found on wifeknows.com before choosing the blender that’s right for you.
We currently use the Russell Hobbs Food Collection Hand Blender* which works great if you want to try and control the consistency of the soup you’re making.
This soup really freezes well and is perfect with homemade bread!
If you enjoyed this post and would like some more family friendly budget recipes or meal plan ideas, then head over to the budget food section here on Savings 4 Savvy Mums where you’ll find over 30 cheap posts dedicated to helping you cook and shop wiser for less. There’s enough tips to help you save over £300 a month! You could also pop over and follow my family food Pinterest boards for lots more ideas on how to eat well and spend less; Family Meal Plans on a Budget, Budget Family Meals & Budget Slimming World Recipes for Families.
Love this post? Then why not save it to Pinterest so you can easily find it later.
What the * means
If a link has an * by it, then this means it is an affiliate link and helps S4SM stay free for all. If you use the link, it may mean that we receive a very small payment. It will not cost you anymore that it would normally.
You shouldn’t notice any difference and the link will never negatively impact the product. The items we write about are NEVER dictated by these links. We aim to look at all products on the market. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link, then the link, or product is still included in the same way, just with a non-paying link.
- 500g chopped and cubed sweet potatoes
- 300g chopped and cubed carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1L vegetable stock
- 100ml crème fraiche
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- Heat oven to 200C fan or gas 7 and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots into little chucks.
- Drizzle oil over both and season to taste. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic then after a minute add the stock. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- When the roasted vegetables are soft, transfer them to the saucepan and use a hand blender to process until smooth.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, seasoning and reheat until hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 31mgSodium 834mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 7gSugar 15gProtein 5g