Most parents are understandably nervous when they first hand over their teenager’s car keys. But with the correct preparation and information, you can rest assured that your teen is driving safely and responsibly. A critical piece of preparation is finding the best car insurance for your teen driver.
This guide will give you an overview of what to look for in a policy and some tips on saving money on premiums. Armed with this information, you can find a policy that fits both your budget and your needs.
Factors to Consider in Looking for the Best Car Insurance for a Teen Driver
When searching for the best car insurance policy for your teen, consider these factors:
- State laws on minimum coverage requirements and restrictions – These include liability limits and nighttime driving.
- Whether the teen tends to drive more during school hours or after-school hours – If your teen drives only during the day, you may want to choose a policy with higher coverage limits than if your teen drives mainly at night – unless you are willing to pay more.
- Minimum deductible requirements – If your teen is at fault in an accident, this amount will be deducted from any claims payment to you. If you can afford to pay higher deductibles (i.e., $500 or $1000), then choose higher coverage limits for the teen’s policy so that you do not have to worry as much about the teen getting into an accident.
- Your teen’s driving record – This includes the accidents and violations your teen has been involved in, including claims filed. If your teen has maintained a clean driving record for the past three years, he will qualify for better rates than if your teen has had several accidents in the past couple of years.
- Whether the company has a good program for young drivers – If you’re looking for an insurance provider that can cater to your teen, you can take a look at their program to see if it’s geared towards young drivers. According to Liberty Mutual insurance reviews, for example, the company offers competitive rates especially for teen drivers.
How to Get the Best Car Insurance for Your Teen Driver
By understanding what to look for in your teen’s auto insurance policy, you can get an inexpensive car insurance for teen drivers. Here’s how:
1. Shop around before you decide on an insurer or an auto policy
Take the time to get insurance quotes from several insurers. This is crucial if you are purchasing an insurance policy for your teen since few companies specialize in this market. Collect at least three quotes so you can have a wider selection to choose from.
2. If your teen drives only occasionally, consider getting them a non-owner car insurance policy
These policies are usually less expensive than regular insurances because you are not insuring the vehicle, just your teen’s driving record.
3. Consider bundling your auto insurance policy with other forms of coverage
This way, you can reduce the amount you are paying for different types of insurance by taking advantage of discounts offered to clients who have more than one type of policy with the insurer. Many insurers offer a price-cut if you have a homeowners or renters insurance policy with them. So the more policies that you have with an insurer, the more significant your overall savings might be.
4. Decide on which benefits are important to you
Before settling on an insurance policy, you must determine which coverage benefits are important to you. For example, if you have a young driver and a child who will frequently be in the car as well, then you may want to choose an insurance policy that offers bodily injury liability coverage for all passengers. Be sure to determine which coverage benefits are essential because this can help reduce your premiums.
5. Check for discounts your teen is eligible to receive
When selecting a car insurance policy for your teen, be sure to check with the insurer’s underwriting department or a customer service agent to find out if any discounts are offered. Many insurers offer discounts such as safe driver and good student discounts.
The Bottom Line: Cover All the Bases with Your Teen Driver
Although finding car insurance for your teen driver can seem challenging, it is vital to research and find the best policy for your teen. By considering all of your options and asking questions, you can find a plan that fits both your budget and your needs.